How to find a long term rental

MrBife

How to find a long term rental

Post by MrBife » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 am

It may not be so easy to set aside the time by far the best method is to visit and spend some time in your chosen area. if you don't yet have a chosen area then that becomes your first job and priority.

You need to walk around, look around and talk to people. If your Portuguese is non existent then carry with you a piece of paper that says (in Portuguese) I like this area very much and I am trying to find a house/apartment to rent. Do you know of anything or can you suggest who I can speak to.

There are people like 'property management companies' that manage places for absent owners - they may be able to assist. Everyone thinks that real estate agents will be helpful - most often they will not be as they don't make money from organizing rentals - they may on the off-chance know of something and could possibly help you out - you never know.

There are some rental market resources on the internet mainly in the form of specific Facebook pages - so a search could be useful. There are also adverts in the local papers, on supermarket small ads and even sometimes on the properties themselves where you see a sign that says 'Aluga-Se' and then shows a phone number.

Almost without exception you will not be taken seriously unless you are nearby, can talk to them in person, and can visit right away. The better places go pretty fast. No one will invest their time to answer emails and even if you do find an agency they will not use their resources to help anyone who is not on the spot and able to do a deal quickly.

It's sometimes possible that a holiday property owner will allow extended rental during the winter months (October to May) at an agreed rate so it may be worth trying a few. You will have to vacate before the summer unless you want to pay summer rates !
ppi admin
Site Admin

Re: How to find a long term rental

Post by ppi admin » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 pm

If anyone has come across specific websites, agencies or useful resources for finding rental property then please feel free to list them here
Ozzior

Post by Ozzior » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:17 am

ppi admin wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 pm
If anyone has come across specific websites, agencies or useful resources for finding rental property then please feel free to list them here
For sure it would be really useful for many people who are in the situation where they have to look for new accommodation due to one reason or another. 6 months ago I was in the same situation and manger to rent property in Portugal https://tranio.com/rent/portugal/ through this website. Had to negotiate with the owner of one flat that I really liked and pay 4 months in advance to lower the monthly rate but living here now it was worth it.
MissJacqueline

Post by MissJacqueline » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:49 pm

I had the very best service from http://www.portugalplaza.pt who were recommended to me by a friend and found us exactly what I wanted in the long term rental we are in now. We have a 12 month proper contract (not a holiday rental agreement!) that allowed us to apply for our NHR. I thoroughly recommend folks contact them, especially if you are not on the ground here and need to get a list of properties qualified before flying over to view. We did not have the luxury of time and these guys were amazing. They are based in Albufeira but cover the Algarve, Lisbon and areas around there too.
MrBife

Post by MrBife » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:04 pm

Big and new (at least to me) website at www,portugalpropertyrentals.com has a list of Winter let and Long Term Rental properties - Great to see these companies extending the season and getting more folks here outside of July/August.